MAYA Organization is proud to present…
Penny Simkin’s When Survivors Give Birth
March 31 – April 1, 2017
MAYA Organization is honored to welcome Penny Simkin and her groundbreaking workshop, When Survivors Give Birth, to Pittsburgh this Spring. Penny is a world-renowed childbirth educator, author, and doula. Additionally, she is the co-founder of DONA International (formerly Doulas of North America) and PATTCh (Prevention and Treatment of Traumatic Childbirth).
The When Survivors Give Birth workshop is designed to acquaint participants with the prevalence of childhood sexual abuse and its impact on the childbearing women, and to introduce specific counseling and care-giving techniques for minimizing the negative impact and bringing healing.
- One-day workshop: March 31, 2017……….$95*
- Open to the public.
- Two-day workshop: March 31 and April 1, 2017……….Sold Out
- Attendees for the two-day workshop must have experience in perinatal mental health, education, or caring for childbearing women, and must also have attended the day 1 workshop.
- Due to an exceptionally limited number of spots in the day-two workshop, the workshop is sold out. For information on being added to the waitlist please email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Space is limited… Register today!
*Special rates available for groups of ten or more. Contact Tomilyn Ward for details at 412- 945-7670 x101.
Selected Topics of When Survivors Give Birth include:
- Definition and incidence of childhood sexual abuse (CSA)
- Impact of a history of childhood sexual abuse on the adult
- Repression and recall of memories of childhood sexual abuse
- Possible impact of childhood sexual abuse on the woman during pregnancy, labor, birth and post-partum
- Relationship between the woman and her caretaker
- Background information, including present circumstances and abuse history
- How to respond when your client discloses her childhood sexual abuse history
- Exploration of pain and stress and how the client normally deals with them
- Anticipation of birth, including “triggers,” personal meanings and strategies
- Demonstration of interview/counseling techniques (more extensive)
- Illustrative case presentations
- Other strategies, including birth plans, visualizations, partner’s and doula’s roles, and control issues
Date: March 31 – April 1, 2017 Location: Pine Community Center, Wexford PA