MAYA Organization is proud to present…
Penny Simkin’s When Survivors Give Birth
March 31 – April 1, 2017
MAYA Organization is honored to welcome Penny Simkin and her groundbreaking workshop, When Survivors Give Birth, to Pittsburgh this Spring. Penny is a world-renowed childbirth educator, author, and doula. Additionally, she is the co-founder of DONA International (formerly Doulas of North America) and PATTCh (Prevention and Treatment of Traumatic Childbirth).
The When Survivors Give Birth workshop is designed to acquaint participants with the prevalence of childhood sexual abuse and its impact on the childbearing women, and to introduce specific counseling and care-giving techniques for minimizing the negative impact and bringing healing.
When Survivors Give Birth is offered in a one- and two-day format. Day one (March 31st) is open to the public, and includes 7.5 hours of lecture, one hour of lunch, and two short breaks. Attendees on day two (April 1) must have experience in perinatal mental health, education, or caring for childbearing women, and must have attended the day one workshop. The day two lecture focuses on advanced counseling techniques for the survivor, and includes 6.5 hours of lecture with a one-hour lunch and two short breaks.
Selected Topics of When Survivors Give Birth include:
- Definition and incidence of childhood sexual abuse (CSA)
- Impact of a history of childhood sexual abuse on the adult
- Repression and recall of memories of childhood sexual abuse
- Possible impact of childhood sexual abuse on the woman during pregnancy, labor, birth and post-partum
- Relationship between the woman and her caretaker
- Content Logistics regarding counseling, including setting, time frame and homework
- Background information, including present circumstances and abuse history
- How to and not to respond when your client discloses her childhood sexual abuse history
- Exploration of pain and stress and how the client normally deals with them
- Anticipation of birth, including “triggers,” personal meanings and strategies
- Demonstration of interview/counseling techniques (more extensive)
- Illustrative case presentations
- Other strategies, including birth plans, visualizations, partner’s and doula’s roles, and control issues
Penny Simkin’s When Survivors Give Birth Workshop
Date: March 31, 2017 – April 1, 2017
Location: Pine Community Center, 100 Pine Park Drive, Wexford PA 15090